Dolphin without crashes and Episode I & II Trial Edition: Tapserver BBA

Check here to see the latest updates!
Matt
Site Admin
Likes given: 5 times

Dolphin without crashes and Episode I & II Trial Edition: Tapserver BBA

Post by Matt »

HI all,

Thanks to the hard work of fuzziqersoftware, it is now possible to play online with Dolphin without any hard crashes (known as the "Frozen Screen of Death", or "FSOD"), and also be able to connect to PSO servers using the Modem Adapter, meaning that the Trial Edition of Episode I & II is a lot more accessible. This is done through the new "tapserver" option for the BBA and Modem in later versions of Dolphin.

Download for Windows, macOS, and Android - get the latest Beta version.

For Linux/Steam Deck, get the latest Flatpak.

Please note that the server you are connecting to must support the tapserver BBA option. At time of posting, only Ragol.org and other newserv instances support this.

Instructions

1. Set up Dolphin and PSO as usual
  2. In the SP1 option in the GameCube settings, choose one of the tapserver options. If not playing the Trial Edition, the Broadband Adapter is highly recommended.
  3. Configure the adapter for the DNS/port of the server you are connecting to.
  4. For Ragol.org, this is: ragol.org:9501 for the Broadband Adapter, and ragol.org:9502 for the Modem Adapter.
  5. If using the Modem Adapter, it is necessary to pick a username, password, and phone number in the provider settings. These can be literally anything.

And then just connect and it will work! Make sure the in-game provider settings are all set to automatic.

A couple of notes:

• Tapserver BBA adds some latency over using the HLE BBA
  • When disconnecting from the server, it is possible that you may not be able to reconnect; if this happens, restart Dolphin and it will work again
  • In comparison to the HLE BBA, you will never receive Error 102 as your ISP cannot get in the way of the redirection to private server of choice

Episode I & II Trial Edition on Devolution

If you are playing on a Wii, Nintendon't doesn't have support for the GameCube Modem Adapter. This means that Episode I & II Trial Edition is not playable, but it can be played on Devolution.

Devolution Download - This is a version of Devolution that allows you to run ISOs without needing the disc yourself

In PSO itself, go to provider options and at the user/password screen, put in the following information:

User: Your choice
Pass: Your choice
Phone number: 14470359098655

Then connect online and it will just work! For other servers, they will need to provide their own Devolution phone numbers, as this phone number connects directly to Ragol.org.

Episode I & II Trial Edition Download

If you're interested in playing this demo version of Episode I & II, you can download it here. Please note that this is only in Japanese.

We hope you enjoy playing PSO!

Connection pages and download pages will be updated shortly.

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Dolphin without crashes and Episode I & II Trial Edition: Tapserver BBA

Post by Matt »

This post has been updated with a version of Dolphin that has tapserver BBA on Android.

We are still waiting for the latest main release to be pushed to Flatpak so it can be accessed easily on Steam Deck. There was a testing repo you could easily install but it is error 404'ing now.

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Dolphin without crashes and Episode I & II Trial Edition: Tapserver BBA

Post by Matt »

I've come across this post again and realised it had outdated addresses and numbers, so these have been updated. Ideally people connect from the website instructions but I suspect some might have come here from searches, so I've updated them.

Furthermore, the latest official release of Dolphin now has tapserver on all platforms, so there's no need to link to specific dev builds.